Tribe Leader (Unit Head)
Tribe Leaders (unit heads) are a central part of the leadership team at Eden Village West. They supervise and support a team of counselors working with campers in a specific age group to create a magical camp experience for all of our campers. Tribe leaders support counselors in working with campers, creating innovative bunk programming, and working with their co-counselors.
About Eden Village West
Eden Village West is an organic farm-to-table residential Jewish camp in Sonoma County, California with a 6-week overnight summer program as well as other farm programming throughout the spring and fall. Our campers enjoy farming, wilderness and homesteading skills, culinary arts, music, and sports as they become empowered to promote a more environmentally sustainable, socially just, and spiritually connected world for all.
- Tribe Leaders must be at least 18 years old, and are expected to stay at camp the entire season, attend staff training and live on site at Eden Village West for the 8 week summer season
- Prior experience as a supervisor, or clearly ready to step into a leadership/supervisory role with counselors who may be their peers outside of camp
- Able and willing to accept supervision and guidance.
- Able to put the needs of the campers and staff before the needs of self.
- Able to manage their own time, schedule, and tasks with flexible and willingness to go with the flow
- Support & facilitate counselor training, both during staff training and throughout the summer and provide ongoing supervision, feedback, and daily meetings/support.
- Manage camper issues that arise within the tribe. Work with the camper care team and counselor to support struggling campers. Communicate with campers and staff through Non Violent Communication techniques.
- Lead meals, facilitate golden broom selection, and support with other all camp moments. Provide assistance and coverage during key times during the day. Sometimes this will be scheduled, other times will be as needed. Times may include: Menucha / Rest Hour, Schmooze / Free Time, Shower Time, Health Center during evening medications, Bedtime Rituals, rotational nighttime supervision, etc.
- Design and run Tribe Nights (evening programs for the entire age group), Support the program team in all camp programs and to produce tribe specific activities
- Liaison between different departments of camp. Communicate between campers, counselors, the office, directors, health center, camper care, and specialists.
- Respect and support a pluralistic Jewish community.
- Responsible for adhering to all camp rules and policies.
- Excited about being a role model 24/7 and being eyes and ears for all that’s happening around camp.
Why you’ll love it!
- Experience a deep community with a vibrant staff of 75 young people from all over the world! Our community values skills sharing, spiritual growth, and inclusivity.
- You’ll enjoy three kosher, organic, locally sourced meals a day.
- We have a secret staff lounge that is stocked with awesome staff snacks, and a not-so-secret not-so-little FARM full of fresh off the vine snacks! We’re munching on farm fresh treats all summer long.
- You get to hang out with goats!
- We have staff fun activities that take place 2-3 times a week, facilitated by your fellow staff members!
- You’ll inspire kids to be more playful, kind, caring, joyful, and grateful- changing their lives and changing the world!
Starting Compensation: $3000 (more DOE) + Room & Board
Time Off: All staff receive one 24-hour day off per week, and at least 2 hours off every day