Saswath - Resume
Phone:------------ Email: ------------
Performance-driven Mechanical Engineer with 2.5 years' professional experience in Machine Design, Manufacturing (Continuous improvement and lean), Process-development & Prototyping, and Quality Control & Assurance.
Mechanical Engineer – S.S. White Technologies, St. Petersburg, FL Dec 2019 – May 2019
• Employed DFM in designing flexible shafts and casing assemblies for aerospace and medical applications using Solidworks CAD & PDM and processed ECRs through Epicor ERP workflow.
• Manufactured and assembled parts & assemblies per print and reduced non-conformance by 20% by identifying critical operation shortcomings and initiating corrective actions.
• Inspected finished parts and optimized inspection processes, increasing inspection rate by 150%.
Mechanical Engineer – +Vantage Corporation, Livonia, MI Sep 2018 – Oct 2019
• Performed GD&T tolerance stack up to engineer high precision automated gaging systems and high voltage sheet metal controls enclosures using PTC Creo 5.0, AutoCAD & Draftsight.
• Slashed cost of components such as vision systems, sensors, lasers, & motion systems significantly by negotiating with vendors while staying up to date on and employing cutting edge components.
• Drastically reduced cycle time of gaging systems and drove interdepartmental design reviews.
Materials Engineer – Optimal Materials, LLC, Plymouth, MI Jan 2018 – Aug 2018
• Pioneered in R&D of bamboo fiber polymer composites for sporting and automotive industries.
• Increased bamboo fiber yield by 120% by altering mechanical & chemical extraction processes.
• Collaborated with chemical industries & labs in identifying compatible and eco-friendly resins.
• Developed DOE and strength testing methods for individual fibers and composite laminates.
• Analyzed results with MATLAB, documented and implemented changes for scaling up.
Graduate Research Assistant – Wayne State University, Detroit, MI Aug 2017 – Jan 2018
• Designed portable infant brain MRI with revolutionary principles using optical fibers & ultrasound.
• Created complicated human head mesh model emulating infant head on Solidworks.
• Tested design on sheep brain with 3-D printed probes along with doctors and research fellows.
Engineering Intern – TPRS Saint Gobain Glass works, Puducherry, India Oct 2015 – Dec 2015
• Studied float glass process & operated annealing Lehr to produce sheet glass for automotive windows.
• Worked on production line with batch house, autoclave, & furnace, learning basic Lean Six Sigma.
• Employed knowledge in AutoCAD 3D for design of templates for milling and waterjet cutting.
Wayne State University Aug 2016 – May 2018
• Created semi-monocoque chassis with alloy/carbon fiber tube with Solidworks & Inventor, reducing
• both overall weight and center of gravity of Road Warrior 12, adhering to FSAE standards.
• Fabricated PdO supported on ZSM-5 and evaluated microstructure using XRG, TGA and TEM.
• Synthesized Gold nanoparticles and characterized with AFM & UV-vis spectroscopy in clean room.
• Conducted Compression after Impact analysis on CFRP extensively with ABAQUS & Hypermesh.
SCSVMV University Aug 2012 – May 2016
• Manufactured Aluminum reinforced with CNT & Boron Carbide nanoparticles and H-13 tool steel pins. Conducted tribological wear-tear study for friction stir welding tooling material & feasibility.
• Applied thin-film coating of varying thickness and exposure time on tooling pins to study corresponding effect on efficiency.
• Researched fabrication of Natural fiber reinforced polymer composites using Luffa cylindrica, glass and steel reinforcements of varying compositions and performed mechanical testing and analysis.
M.S., Mechanical Engineering GPA: 3.61/4.0
Wayne State University, Detroit, Michigan Aug 2016-May 2018
B.E., Mechanical Engineering GPA: 3.80/4.0
SCSVMV University, Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu, India Aug 2012-May 2016
Design (Certified Diploma): Catia V5, AutoCAD 2D & 3D, Unigraphics NX8
Design (Experience): Creo 5.0, Solidworks ’20 & PDM, Epicor ERP, Autodesk Inventor, Solid Edge
Analysis: Hypermesh V13, LS-Dyna, Abaqus V6.14
Tools: MATLAB, MS Office, PPAP, FAIRs, APQP, DFMEA & PFMEA, DFMA, CAPA
Presented paper in Indian Journal of Science & Technology on “A study on the properties of natural sandwich laminates” (Volume 9, Issue 37 – Oct 16) that detailed the evaluation of mechanical strengths such as tension, compression, flexure & impact of sandwich laminates with epoxy matrix, reinforced with natural, synthetic, and metallic fibers.
Mechanical, Engineer, GD&T, 3D CAD, Solidworks, Creo, FEA, DFMEA, DFMA, Quality