Gerry Fey's Resume
Gerry Fey ------------ | ------------
139 Marburth Ave. Baltimore, MD 21286 |------------
Summary of qualifications
• Over 20 years experience in print marketing, publications and web graphics.
• 15 years experience in managing and mentoring graphic designers and editors.
• Three years experience expanding print publications into tablet and electronic media.
• Proven track record of success in developing and collaborating on marketing strategy, then integrating it into marketing materials.
• Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver), Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, Excel as well as experience working with PowerPoint, Keynote, Freehand, QuarkXPress.
OWNER GFEYDESIGN, BALTIMORE, MD 2008-PRESENT
• Design marketing materials for Direct Supply Warehouse, including their catalog cover.
• Design marketing collateral for Erickson Living Retirement Communities.
• Design publications for non-profit and government organizations like: Freedom House and National Governors Organization.
• Create company brand identity, logo design, and event design. Clients include: The University of Nebraska-Omaha, Carousel Camera and Omaha Running Club.
• Design publications for the Washington Post, Baltimore Business Journal, USA Today Super Bowl Preview, Super Bowl Commemorative, Howard County Jewish Times newsletter.
CREATIVE SERVICE MANAGER
MAINTENANCE SUPPLY HEADQUARTERS, LAUREL, MD 2014-2019
• Managing a team of three designers to produce marketing material for a wholesalers company for products selling to multifamily properties.
• Part of the team to redesign the company’s website.
• Lead the team to transition branches from Central Wholesalers Inc. to Maintenance Supply Headquarters, including branding marketing collateral, truck wraps and advertising.
• Lead the team to design the 1,000 page yearly company catalog.
DESIGNER THE WASHINGTON POST, WASHINGTON D.C. 2013-2014
• Design newspaper layouts: A section, Metro, Sports and Style.
• Produce tablet content to promote stories for the iPad.
• Determine where stories are placed in the A-section and Metro section. Design point person for layout and content changes on deadline.
DESIGNER GANNETT CUSTOM MEDIA, MCLEAN, VA 2011-2013
• Issue editor for national magazines (Hispanic Living, 2012 Baseball Preview, 2012 NFL Draft Preview, 2012 Pets Guide): assigned stories, worked with a freelance budget, edited content, managed copy editors and designers, worked with designers on inside and cover layouts.
• Assistant issue editor and lead designer on specialty national magazines and tabloids, such as the 2012 Future of NASA, 2012 Best of New York Guide, 2012 Best of Philadelphia Guide, 2012 Auto Guide, 2012 College Football Preview, and 2012 Graduate School Guide.
• Developed iPad and Kindle apps for magazines to broaden availability of product.
• Wrote headlines and content for various magazines.
• Posted content on USA ------------ website
• All-around troubleshooter, checking pages, giving final approval for each issue before publication and sending to the printer.
• Apple and PC technology troubleshooter in department.
SENIOR GRAPHICS DESIGNER, MARKETING
ERICKSON LIVING COMMUNITIES, CATONSVILLE, MD 2007-2011
• Mentored and acted as daily supervisor for two designers.
• Blogger for ------------ web site and helped keep the site updated with content; part of team charged with redesigning web site.
• Lead designer for the Erickson Tribune, a direct-mail broadsheet newspaper reaching more than 700,000 prospective residents. The Tribune consistently drove highly qualified prospects to Erickson’s senior living communities. In April and May 2009, the Tribune was responsible for 81 of the 186 total settlements across the company, equaling approximately $23.5 million in revenue.
• Led the complete redesign of the Tribune to reflect new branding, logo and strategy as well as to modernize the product for better ease-of-use for our readers.
• Regularly created ads in the Tribune and brochures for the communities.
LAYOUT EDITOR USA TODAY, MCLEAN, VA 2006-2007
• Coordinated and created graphics for weekly sports magazine.
• Designed daily pages including the USA Today front page.
• Developed content and acted as lead designer for specialty issues (12 per year).
DEPUTY MANAGING EDITOR, DESIGN CHIEF, DESIGN EDITOR
USA TODAY SPORTS WEEKLY, MCLEAN, VA 2000-2005
• Managed staff of four to develop content and coordinate design for a national weekly baseball/football publication. Organized cover photo shoots of Major League Baseball and National Football League players.
• Collaborated with Managing Editor on content for the weekly publication.
PALM BEACH POST, WEST PALM BEACH, FL 1999-2000
• Editor of the Sunday sports section and designed all special sections.
SUN-SENTINEL, FORT LAUDERDALE, FL 1996-1999
• Copy edited stories, wrote headlines, edited photos and designed pages for the newspaper's sports department. Designed special sections, including several during the Florida Marlins’ 1997 World Series run.
B.A., JOURNALISM UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS LAWRENCE, KS 1996
• Writer, Designer, Sports Editor and Editor for the school paper, The University Daily Kansan. Also worked as a part-time sports clerk and columnist for the Lawrence Journal-World.
APEX Award Winner Maga-papers and Newspapers Print for Erickson Tribune.
USA Today Enterprise All-Star: A yearly award given to only
25 employees in the USA Today editorial department.
Introduction to HTML5 from the University of Michigan.
Introduction to CSS3 from the University of Michigan.
Web design, playing softball and trying to keep up with my two children.
Graphic Designer, Marketing