Ryan Shikiya's Resume
3408 Palos Verdes Drive North Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274 xxx-xxx-xxxx xxx-xxx-xxxx
Palos Verdes High School. Palos Verdes Estates, CA
Graduation anticipated in June 2019
APs: AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, AP Computer Science, AP Physics C, AP Economics, AP English Language, AP World History, AP English Literature
Current GPA: 4.7
SAT: 1560 (760 CR, 800 MA)
PSAT: 1490 (730 CR, 760 MA)
Stanford Pre-Collegiate University-Level Online Math and Physics Program. Summer 2018.
• Enrolled in intensive Multivariable Differential Calculus through an online program
for students who have completed all of the available math classes at their high
• Attended daily classes, examining vectors and vector-valued functions in 2-space
and 3-space, tangent and normal vectors, curvature, functions of two or more variables, partial derivatives and differentiability, directional derivatives and gradients, maxima and minima, optimization using Lagrange multipliers.
• Took weekly quizzes and completed a comprehensive final exam.
• Received an “A” in the class (90% where an 83% is an “A-”)
Johns Hopkins University Center for Talented Youth Program. Online AP Statistics. 2018-2019.
• 2-semester by-invitation-only online AP Statistics course.
• Attending an online class with emphasis on probability, regression analysis, and
• Assessments include homework, quizzes, projects, chapter exams, a midterm exam,
and a cumulative final.
Cross Country. Palos Verdes High School. Palos Verdes Estates, CA. 9-12 Grade.
• Selected as varsity team captain.
• Run 60-70 miles per week at sub-7 minute pace.
• Attend 10 hours of practice per week and high-altitude summer training camps in
Mammoth Lakes, CA.
• Competed at 2016 CIF Southern Section Championships and 2017 and 2018 CIF Southern Section and State Championships.
Track and Field. Palos Verdes High School. Palos Verdes Estates, CA. 9-12 Grade.
• Lead training sessions with the team.
• Attend 10 hours of practice per week in addition to running on own.
• 4:27 miler
Cadet, Junior Lifeguard Program. Los Angeles County Fire Department. Manhattan Beach, CA. 2015-2018.
• By-invitation-only intensive leadership program requiring rigorous admissions
process including written application, interview, certification in CPR, and physical
• Worked closely with senior lifeguard staff, shadowing them during guard duty on
• Trained and supervised junior lifeguards in ocean safety and lifeguarding skills, for
30 hours per week during summer months.
• Achieved 2nd place finish in the US Lifeguard Association National Championships
in Distance in 2016; won 1st place in 2016 and 2017 Regionals Race.
Manager and Coach. Palos Verdes Basketball Association Team for 6th, 7th, and 8th Graders. 2016-present.
• Prepared conditioning and training program for youth enrolled in basketball
• Led team to win the championship.
• Led 2 practices and 1 game per week from November-March each year
Participant. Rock2Rock Paddleboard Race. Catalina Island, CA. 2014-present.
• Paddled solo in annual 22-mile race from Catalina Island to Cabrillo Beach, San
• Competed as the youngest person to ever complete the race as a 14-year-old.
• Competed for Ocean of Hope cancer charity campaign
Chair. Los Hermanos Volunteer Organization. Palos Verdes High School. Palos Verdes Estates, CA. 2015-present.
• Organized food preparation for 1,000 meals/week for the homeless population.
• Served as a tutor for math and science at local Boys and Girls Club.
• Awarded Presidential Award for completing over 100 hours of volunteer service.
Commissioner. Be the Change. Palos Verdes High School. Palos Verdes Estates, CA. 2016-present.
• Accepted through highly competitive admissions process.
• Worked way up from member to Commissioner of Student Recognition to Commissioner of Special Projects (Head of group that planned and executed largest events of the year).
• Coordinated activities to encourage kindness, inclusion, diversity, and collaboration.
Member. National Honors Society. Palos Verdes High School. Palos Verdes Estates, CA. 2015-present.
• Accepted into program by demonstrating scholarship, character, leadership, and
• Developed fundraising strategies for the Painted Turtle Walk-a-Thon to raise
money for children with serious medical conditions.
Member. California Scholarship Federation. Palos Verdes High School. Palos Verdes Estates, CA. 2015-present.
• Participated in various volunteer and donation opportunities.
I would be interested in tutoring in high school level Math, Spanish, Computer Science (Java), Economics, and Physics.
Math, Spanish, Computer Science (Java), Economics, Physics