Resume - Hanh Nguyen
Address: 8299 Cambridge St., Apt 901, Houston, TX 77054 Email: ------------ Phone: ------------ LinkedIn: ------------/in/hanh-nguyen-0416
Objective: Desire a position as a Scientist in leading organization. Providing benefit of expertise in Organic Synthesis and Organometallic. Coming with strong interpersonal and data analysis skills and the ability to work effectively within tight time constraints.
Ph.D. Graduate Student, University of Houston, TX, 77004
Synthetic Organic and Organometallic Chemistry
Advisor: Prof. Olafs Daugulis
GPA: 3.555 2016 – present
Bachelor of Science, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam
Metal-Organic Frameworks and Organic Chemistry
Advisor: Prof. Nam T. S. Phan
Honors Program (GPA: 8.2/10) 2010 – 2015
• Thorough knowledge of organic and organometallic chemistry.
• Skilled in organic and organometallic synthesis including Schlenk, air-free techniques.
• Outstanding expertise in analyzing and identifying organic compounds by modern analytical techniques (HPLC, FT-IR, GC/MS, NMR).
• Highly skilled in organic chemicals separation and purification by traditional and modern methods (Preparative LC, Flash Chromatography, HPLC, Distillation, Recrystallization).
• Demonstrated ability and extensive hands-on experience in synthetic methodology/catalysis, designing and executing synthesis of small molecules and optimizing chemical processes.
• Driven to learn, take risks and solve problems.
• Team-player who can also work independently.
Graduate Research Assistant, University of Houston, TX
• Developed a method for palladium-catalyzed arylation/alkylation of sp3 C–H bonds using N-aminopyridine directing groups
• Developed a method for copper-catalyzed thiolation of sp2 C–H bonds using directing groups
• In charge of ordering solvents and supplies, operating HPLC instrument 2016 – present
Undergraduate and Research Assistant, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam
• Developed method for synthesis and application of metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) in organic synthesis
• Assisted Prof. Phan to mentor and support undergraduate students in their research 2013 – 2016
Laboratory Teaching Assistant, University of Houston, Houston, TX.
Department of Chemistry, Organic Chemistry.
• Guided a diverse group of students through experiments in organic chemistry.
• Worked with students to improve scientific writing skills.
• Enforced safety procedures and conduct requirements. August 2016 –
Laboratory Teaching Assistant, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam
Department of Chemistry, Organic Chemistry.
• Supervised laboratory experiments for lab section of twenty-four students.
• Taught students chemistry laboratory skills and safe lab practices. January 2015 –
• “N-Aminopyridinium Ylide-Directed, Copper-Promoted Thiolation of Arene C-H Bonds”, Nguyen, H.; Daugulis, O. J. Org. Chem. 2020, 85, 13069–13079.
• “1-Aminopyridinium Ylides as Monodentate Directing Groups for sp3 C–H Bond Functionalization”, Le, K.K.A.; Nguyen, H.; Daugulis, O. J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2019, 84, 14728−14735.
• “Amidation via ligand-free direct oxidative C(sp3)-H/N–H coupling with Cu-CPO-27 metal-organic framework as a recyclable heterogeneous catalyst”, Hoang, T. T; Nguyen, T. H. H.; Le, T. T.; Le, T. D.; Truong, T.; Phan, P. S. N.; Tetrahedron 2016, 72, 8241–8251.
• “Synthesis of imidazo[1,5-a]pyridines via oxidative amination of the C(sp3)–H bond under air using metal–organic framework Cu-MOF-74 as an efficient heterogeneous catalyst”, Nguyen, T. H. H.; Nguyen, K. T. O.; Truong, T.; Phan, T. S. N. RSC Adv. 2016, 6, 36039–36049
• Azobenzene-Containing Metal-Organic Framework as an Efficient Heterogeneous Catalyst for Direct Amidation of Benzoic Acids: Synthesis of Bioactive Compounds”, Hoang, T. M. L.; Ngo, H. L.; Nguyen, L. H.; Nguyen, T. H. H.; Nguyen, K. C.; Nguyen, T. B.; Ton, T. Q.; Nguyen, K. D. H.; Cordova, E. K.; Truong, T. Chem. Comm. 2015, 51, 17132– 17135.
This research was highlighted in Synfacts issue 02/2016.
46th National Organic Chemistry Symposium (NOS)
Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Poster: New Monodentate Directing Groups for sp3 C-H Bond Functionalization June 2019
46th NOS Travel Grant-Graduate Student Award, Bloomington, Indiana
Issuer: Division of Organic Chemistry June 2019
organic synthesis, organometallic, research,