Lauren Forstenhausler- Fashion Design Student at Cornell University
As a current sophomore at Cornell University studying Fiber Science and Apparel Design with a Fashion Design concentration and minor in Business, I am passionate about every aspect of the industry and the journey of the product from concept to consumer. I love creating thought-provoking pieces and designing with each element of the garment in mind, from fabric choices and fiber content to the use of buttons and trims that build upon my concept. I am excited by the opportunity to supplement my coursework with experience in this fast-paced industry. My academic achievement, design coursework, on-campus leadership experience, and creative portfolio represent me as a qualified applicant for this position.
I have a 3.95 GPA after taking advanced patternmaking, draping, and structural fabric design, among other coursework in and outside of the fashion department. Aside from my design coursework, I am heavily involved on campus and have held several leadership positions in my on-campus organizations. Last semester, I co-directed a full-length production of The Big Meal through Cog Dog Theatre Troupe, and I currently serve as the troupe’s Advertising Chair. I am a student designer in the Cornell Fashion Collective and am actively involved in seven on-campus organizations. My portfolio includes some of my most recent work and can be viewed at xxx-xxx-xxxx.
Cornell University Ithaca, NY 2017-2021
Bachelor of Science, Fiber Science and Apparel Design: Fashion Design, in progress
GPA 3.95, Dean’s list
Activities/Societies: Cornell Fashion Collective, Cornell Fashion Industry Network, Cog Dog Theatre Troupe, Cornell University Fashion Forward, Cornell Catholic, Golden Key Honor Society, Alpha Phi Omega co-ed service fraternity
J Crew Short Hills, NJ Summer, Winter 2018
- Work at leading J Crew retailer on a part-time basis.
- Consult with customers to determine personal needs and find best-fit items.
- Provide opinion and additional sizes when desired.
- Build outfits around specific pieces.
- Maintain sales floor.
Mundi Westport Group Pine Brook, NJ Summer 2017
Ladies Handbags and Wallets Product Development Intern
- Measured specifications for production sample bags.
- Organized and filed fabric swatches into appropriate filing system.
- Prepared production samples to be shipped to the New York showroom.
Diann’s Boutique Kenvil, NJ Spring 2017
Buying/Merchandising/Social Media Intern
- Researched social media marketing strategies for small businesses.
- Developed new marketing strategies for the store.
- Researched trends to promote on the store’s Instagram page.
- Attended a buying event for Alex and Ani to observe the buying process.
- Took inventory of merchandise.
- Maintained and organized visual displays.
RHS CTBA Randolph, NJ Fall 2015- Spring 2017
- Worked for Randolph High School’s Choir Theater Booster Association.
- Altered dresses and pants for all new choir members.
- Assured that choir members had proper attire for three annual concerts.
Awards and Leadership Experience
National Retail Federation
- Student Program and Big Show atendee January 2018, 2019.
Cog Dog Theatre Troupe
-Co-Directing The Big Meal Fall 2018.
-Advertising Chair Spring 2019
Alpha Phi Omega
-Family Head Fall 2018.
Barbara L. Kuhlman Foundation Scholar
-fiber arts/wearable arts scholarship recipient
Adobe: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, Powerpoint, OneNote
Garment Construction: draping, patternmaking, hand sewing, machine sewing (home and industrial), tailoring, Optitex
Rhino 3D software
fashion design, design, internship, retail, clothing