3539 Araglin Drive, Gastonia NC 28056 ● xxx-xxx-xxxx ● xxx-xxx-xxxx
September 3, 2019
Science Fun for Everyone
111 James Jackson Avenue #131
Cary, North Carolina 27513
Dear Hiring Manager,
I am interested in learning more about the Science Educator position posted on xxx-xxx-xxxx. I am a recent college graduate with a significant science background and education experience. I received a Bachelor of Science degree in Insect Science from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in August 2019. While completing the final coursework for my degree, I have been employed as a part-time instructor with the Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. Although I love my education work at the Garden, they unfortunately do not employ full-time instructors.
The position description indicates you are looking for enthusiastic, energetic, outgoing professionals to teach “hands-on” science. I believe my enthusiasm for science and experience working with elementary age children make me a strong candidate for the position at Science Fun for Everyone.
My current instructor position involves presenting and teaching several education programs designed for school age children (primarily elementary school). The programs involve education through multiple formats- verbal instruction while touring the garden, hands-on activities, songs and crafts; all presented to engage the children while they learn. As a team, the instructors plan and teach week long summer camps held at the Garden. Several of my activity ideas have been implemented at camps.
I was honored when my manager approached me specifically to work with special needs groups and individuals that came to the Garden. One of my coworkers had noticed my efforts to accommodate a blind student on his trip to the Garden. We had not been given advance notification of this attendee and my co-worker commended my approach to my supervisors. After this experience, I was given the opportunity conduct a program for a special needs class for students with Down syndrome. In addition, I was given the opportunity to be the host of a fairy themed birthday party for a young girl who was legally blind. These opportunities were very rewarding.
Science has been close to my heart from a young age. I was inspired as a student by several cool demonstrations by teachers or guest educators. These included live animal displays, making rock candy, setting money on fire without burning it, and many other awesome science experiences. These made a big difference in my life and I would welcome the opportunity to pass on my love of science.
I look forward to an opportunity to speak with you further about the Science Educator position. Thank you for your consideration.
Erica L. Heidenreich
3539 Araglin Drive
Gastonia, North Carolina 28056
Cell Phone: xxx-xxx-xxxx E-Mail: xxx-xxx-xxxx
Recent Insect Science graduate with education and outreach experience seeking opportunities in elementary education.
University of Nebraska- Lincoln College of Agricultural Science and Natural Resources
Bachelor of Science Major: Insect Science
Relevant Education and Outreach Experience
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, Belmont, North Carolina June 2018 -Present
Conduct guided school programs, coordinate pre-school program which includes craft and story-time, plan and implement activities for summer camp programs, work at butterfly bungalow including providing guests supplemental information, create and display arthropod show at various garden events, chosen to provide special needs school program tours and birthday party. Participate in costume in several themed garden events.
• Created an Arthropod educational board game geared toward Ages 12 and up.
• Created educational PowerPoint presentations for community outreach on Arthropod defenses and Arthropod mimicry.
• Caught, housed and performed research on Common Eastern bumblebees for undergraduate thesis. One of the bumblebees caught during research was placed on display for the public to view.
• Educated the public about tarantulas using my pet Chilean Rose Hair tarantula as an exhibit.
• Presented various arthropods at community activities for viewing and handling.
• Reared colonies of Madagascar hissing cockroaches for college and high school.
• Reared additional arthropods for personal use.
Additional Collegiate and Community Experience
• Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden, butterfly bungalow volunteer 2018
• St. Michael’s Faith Formation, Gastonia, NC- Kindergarten Sunday school assistant 2017-2019
• St. Michael’s Youth Soccer, Gastonia, NC- U4 assistant coach 2017
• Insect Science Club, Lincoln, NE 2013-2017
• Zoetis-LPS-Novartis Science Fair, live specimen presenter 2015
• UNL East Campus Community Fair, Lincoln, NE- Live specimen presenter 2014-2015
• UNL East Campus Bug Fest, Lincoln, NE- Insect origami 2015
• Gifford School, Racine, WI- Leader of the 5th grade insect hallway display team 2012
Student Member, Entomological Society of America 2018-present