Dr. Ha Le
Seeking a position developing knowledge in chemical, materials, and engineering applications, valuing critical thinking skills, challenging working environment, and flexibility in work matter.
Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry, University of Houston, TX December 2015
Dissertation: "Benzimidazole-based Fluorophores and Noncovalent Organic Frameworks". GPA: 3.6
Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam May 2010
Thesis: "Synthesis of OMS-2 supported on mesoporous silica SBA-16". GPA: 3.7
RESEARCH AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
University of Houston, Department of Chemistry
Postdoctoral Associate, Advisor: Dr. Ognjen Š. Miljanić February 2016-Present
Research Assistant, Advisor: Dr. Ognjen Š. Miljanić 2011-2015
• Investigated non-covalent organic frameworks based on perfluorinated ligands and studied the porous properties of these hydrophobic materials.
• Synthesized benzimidazole–based fluorophores in different shapes and topographies to detect acids, bases, anions and metal cations.
• Supervised an undergraduate student in the experimental design, data collection, and product characterization of benzobisimidazole cruciform fluorophores and their applications.
Teaching Assistant 2011–2013
• Taught undergraduate General Chemistry laboratory and Organic Chemistry class.
• Prepared lectures, handouts and quizzes. Graded lab reports.
Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam, Department of Organic Synthesis
Research Assistant, Advisor: Dr. Nam T. S. Phan 2010
Synthesis of new metal-organic framework materials based on MOF-199.
Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam, Department of Physicochemical Engineering
Research Assistant, Advisor: Dr. Hanh. N. Nguyen 2005–2010
Synthesis of OMS-2 supported on mesoporous silica SBA-16.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES
• Software and databases:
▫ Microsoft Offices
▫ Reaxys, Scifinder
• Lab technique:
▫ Organic synthesis
▫ UV-Vis spectroscopy
▫ Fluorescence spectroscopy
▫ HPLC, LC-MS
▫ Glove Box
▫ 1H NMR
▫ 13C NMR
▫ Variable temperature NMR
▫ Heteroatom NMR: 19F, 31P
▫ 2D NMR
▫ Porosity measurement
• Language: English and VietnameseLe, page 2
AWARDS AND HONORS:
• Certificate of participation in 2nd Annual Graduate Research and Scholarship Projects Day of University of Houston 2015
• Poster Prize at 16th International Symposium on Novel Aromatic Compounds, Madrid, Spain 2015
• Graduate Research Award, University of Houston, Department of Chemistry 2015
• DSTF-NSM Scholarship, University of Houston 2011–2015
• First-rank Academic scholarship in Ho Chi Minh City University of Technology, Vietnam 2005–2010
• “Nurture talent”-Holcim Scholarship and Petronas Scholarship, Vietnam 2008–2009
• Certificate of "Good executive board member of student association”, Vietnam 2008
 "Organic Molecules with Porous Crystal Structures." Mohamed I. Hashim, Chia-Wei Hsu, Ha T. M. Le,
Ognjen Š. Miljanić, Synlett. 2016, DOI: 10.1055/s-------------.
 "Cyclotetrabenzoin: Facile Synthesis of a Shape-Persistent Molecular Square and Its Assembly into Hydrogen-Bonded Nanotubes." Qing Ji, Ha T. M. Le, Xiqu Wang, Yu-Sheng Chen, Tatyana Makarenko, Allan J. Jacobson, Ognjen Š. Miljanić, Chem. Eur. J., 2015, 21, 17205.
 "Benzobisimdazole Cruciform Fluorophores." Ha T. M. Le, Nadia S. El-Hamdi, and Ognjen Š. Miljanić, J. Org. Chem., 2015, 80, 5210.
 "Benzobisoxazole Cruciforms as Fluorescent Sensors." Musabbir A. Saeed, Ha T. M. Le, and Ognjen Š. Miljanić, Acc. Chem. Res., 2014, 47, 2074.
 "L-shaped Benzimidazole Fluorophores: Synthesis, Characterization and Optical Response to Bases, Acids and Anions." Ha T. M. Le,§ Rio Carlo Lirag,§ and Ognjen Š. Miljanić, Chem. Comm., 2013, 49, 4304 (§These authors contributed equally to this work).
 "Synthesis of OMS-2 supported on mesoporous silica SBA-16". Le Tuyet Mai Ha, Tran Thuy Tuyet Mai and Nguyen Ngoc Hanh, Journal of Science and Technology, Vietnam, 2010, 48-2A, 937.
• 16th International Symposium on Novel Aromatic Compounds; Madrid, Spain; July 2015; "Benzobisimdazole Cruciform Fluorophores."
• 248th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society; San Francisco, CA; August 2014; "Design, Synthesis and Sensing Properties of Cross-Conjugated Benzimidazole."
• 247th National Meeting of the American Chemical Society; Dallas, TX; April 2014; "Benzimidazole Based Fluorophores: Synthesis, Characterization and Optical Response to Zinc."
• NMR Specialist, Polyorganix Inc., Houston, TX, 2015.
• Volunteer: participate in “Green summer campaign” - 2006 in Tra Vinh province and “Green summer campaign” - 2007 in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam.