Recent BA (Hons) Textile and Surface Design graduate from the University of Bolton. My strengths lie in excellent communication and sketching skills evidenced throughout my employment history, alongside an approachable nature enabling me to foster positive relationships with colleagues and clients alike. Through work I can also evidence a highly organised approach, capable of meeting deadlines and coping with periods of pressure. I am looking for an opportunity as a Studio Designer which builds on my existing experience.
Education and Qualifications
2015 - 2016 University of Bolton,Manchester, B.A (Hons) Textile and Surface Design
Modules include: Advanced Textile and Studio Practice, Research in context, Advanced Techniques and Processes, Professional Practice and self promotion, Major project for degree show
2012 - 2014 Wigan and Leigh College India, Advanced Diploma in Fashion Design
2004 - 2012 Hopetown Girl’s School India, Graduated with ISC and ICSE Board
Textile /Fashion skills
• During my degree I have build on the foundation of excellent drawing, sketching and painting skills by hand and a good eye for colour, texture and shape. I am also good with handling Fashion illustrations
• Understanding and experience different types of techniques
Include: Screen printing, foil and flock, heat transfer, Cyanotype, Digital printing, Mono printing
• Ability to use computer design packages
I build on the foundation of excellent drawing, sketching and painting skills via proficient use of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign on Mac as well as Pc.
Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• An understanding of the characteristics of fabrics and how they can be used.
As a part of my degree we have learnt to use different fabrics and experimented with techniques on them .
• Technical skills such as pattern cutting and sewing
I picked up on these skills during my Diploma in Fashion where for every module I created a garment.
Excellent Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• As a designer I have been able to speak to my clients and explain my design during the display of my collection at Northern Contemporary craft fair which involves active listening skills.
Organisation and Planning
• As a textile designer I am proficient at organising and planning a degree show making sure all work was done and displayed to a deadline
• As a Freelance Designer I exhibited work including scarves, brooches and ceramics. This involved creating work to a deadline for exhibition, display of goods, generating sales, taking orders and completing orders to timescale
• I worked as a studio Designer for Hallmark cards working on the latest trend briefs designing greeting cards and gift wraps
• Through WGSN trends I have been keeping myself updated with trends and working on the latest trend updates. I have successfully been able to visit Trade shows like NEC in Birmingham to continue updating on the on going designs and trends.
• In March 2016 I took part in the Bradford Textile Society design competition creating a design for a fashion piece.
• Knowledge about all technical and manufacturing process by visiting Standfast and Barracks factory.
Employment History and Work Experience
2016 - current Home Fundraising, Fundraiser
Working as a fundraiser- communication skills, helping charities
2015-2016 Great Northern Contemporary Craft Fair, Freelance designer
Trade fair with designed scarfs, brooches, ceramics
Hallmark Cards, Internship
Winner Hallmark competition. Worked as a studio designer, designing cards, gift wraps, gift bags
2012- 2014 Freelance Wardrobe Manager
Worked on Fashion shows with Ramp Asia. Handled backstage team, Leadership skills. Worked on shows handling designer’s wardrobes such as Samant Chuhan, Ritu Beri, Rajesh Pratab Singh, and Mindera Wirk. Organising skills, time management, Communication skills, flexible in nature.
2013 Miss North West, Fashion Show Organiser
2012 Rohit Gandhi + Rahul Khanna, Internship
Worked as a designer creating the collection for S/S14
• Bi-lingual, fluent in English , Hindi and Punjabi
References available on request
textile, fashion, designer, print design, pattern making, eye for colour, strong drawing skills