A Defiant Black Writer
1323 Bedford Ave
Brooklyn, New York 11216
PROFESSIONAL PROFILE Dedicated writer with a proficient amount of experience within this discipline. Over 10 years of centered academic training; and have received awards and honors for writing abilities. Desires a challenging dynamic role within the writing field.
A humorous team player, responsible independent worker, lover of an innovative environment with creative peers and colleagues.
AWARDS, HONORS, & ACCOMPLISHMENTS 2019: Accepted into Ta-Nehisi Coates’s Writing for Reporters course at New York University
2019: Interviewed in PAPER MAGAZINE for work with Patricia Okoumou.
2019: Team member on Patricia Okoumou’s management team and her social media assistant.
2018: Keynote Speaker at the 21st Annual MLK Jr. Community Breakfast Ceremony in Columbus, Indiana.
2017: Invited Judge by BCSC official for Columbus East High School’s “Senior Projects.”
2016: Selected Applicant to Present at the Multi-Ethnic Literature of the United States Conference (MELUS) on thesis ““Colorism: Decoding the Hierarchy of Black” in Charleston, South Carolina.
2016: Article, “Black Don’t Crack” – featuring six pivotal Black Millennial Activists – was featured as the focused Editorial in Forward Magazine’s 2016 Issue.
2014: Recipient of Indiana University – Purdue University of Columbus’s (IUPUC) “Outstanding Student in English Award” of the entire English Major.
2014: Selected Applicant to Present at the Indiana University Research Conference (IUURC) on thesis “Slavery’s Trauma – Why Dark Skinned Women Bleach” in Bloomington, Indiana.
2014: Winner of Robert G. Traylor’s “Creative Writing Contest” at Indiana University-Purdue University of Columbus (IUPUC).
2014: Honored Guest at Indiana University-Purdue University of Columbus’s (IUPUC) “Student Honors Convocation.”
2013: Nominated for Skidmore’s Writers Workshop in New York” by IUPUC’s English Department Head, Katherine Wills. Ph.D.
2013: Invited Judge by IUPUC’s English Department Head, Katherine Wills. Ph.D. for Columbus East High School’s “Earth Day Poetry Contest.”
EDUCATION NEW YORK UNIVERSITY – GRADUATE SCHOOL – JOURNALISM
(Cultural Reporting & Criticism) – 2020
• current GPA: 3.88
INDIANA UNIVERSITY DEGREE AT (IUPUC)– 2014 GRADUATE- BACHELOR’S DEGREE IN ENGLISH -CREATIVE WRITING & MINOR IN LITERATURE
• English Club Member
• Works Published in IUPUC’s Talking Leaves
• Selected student featured as one of the faces of the English Major for IUPUC 2015
• Cumulative: GPA 3.46
• English Major: GPA 3.9
• Literature Minor: GPA 4.0
• Coursework Included: British Literature, American Literature, Women Literature, Fiction Writing, Advanced Fiction Writing, Theory-Practices & Editing, etc.
IVY TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE – 2011 GRADUATE- ASSOCIATE’S DEGREE IN GENERAL STUDIES
WORK-STUDY STUDENT: ASSISTANT TO THE LIBERAL ARTS DEAN, JON ROBERTS.
COLUMBUS EAST HIGH SCHOOL- 2008 GRADUATE
Graduated with an Core 40 Diploma
WORK EXPERIENCE WNYU 89.1 FM – AMERICAN SHADE PODCAST – NYU – JAN 2019 – PRESENT
- Content Writer
NEARPOD – FREELANCE WRITER – NEW YORK, NEW YORK – SEPT 2018 – PRESENT
- Writing creative biographies for an educational publication based in Miami.
BARTHOLOMEW COUNTY SCHOOL CORPORATION- DIVERSITY COUNCIL – COLUMBUS, IN FEBRUARY 2018 – PRESENT
- Board Member
COLUMBUS ENRICHMENT PROGRAM – COLUMBUS, IN SEPT 2017 – AUG 2018
- 6th Grade Tutor
- Lessons in Math, English, Social Studies & History
BLACK LIVES MATTER OF COLUMBUS– JULY 2016 – AUG 2018
- Event Planning
- Community Building
DOREL JUVENILE, USA – COLUMBUS, IN AUGUST 2015 – AUG 2018
• Head Copywriter, Editor, Content Writer for Help Centers on xxx-xxx-xxxx & xxx-xxx-xxxx
• Company Newsletter Writer
• Head Writer, Editor for the Consumer Care Department’s Email Drafts (Zendesk)
• Head of Consumer Care Department’s Email Records
• Writer for Consumer Care Department’s Director
• Assistant to Parts Analyst
THE REPUBLIC NEWSPAPER – COLUMBUS, IN MAY 2015 – JUNE 2017
Freelance Writer for Lifestyle Section
• Conducts Interviews
• Article Contributor
FELTSMART- CHILDREN’S EDU-TAINMENT APRIL 2015- AUG 2018
Writer for Children’s Stories
• Children Story Writer
• Contributor to Art Director
• Contributor to Custom Design
IVY TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE MAY 2011 TO JULY 2011
Work-Study Assistant to Liberal Arts Dean, Jon Roberts
• Assisted with Documents via Microsoft Word, Excel & Access
• Book Inventory
• Transferred documentations for Liberal Arts Dean & Liberal Arts Teachers via Electronic Communications.
• Assisted Liberal Arts Teachers with Various Tasks
Katherine V. Wills, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English & English Program Director Columbus, Indiana
Lewis Acker Dibble, Ph.D.
Lecturer, English: Division of Liberal Arts, IUPUC Coordinator, Unaffiliated Disciplines
Ian R. Kohen
Head Director of the Human Rights Commission in Columbus, Indiana.
black writer, writer, nyu, freelance writer