HAL JAMES WAFER
Professional Pari-Mutuel and Gaming Specialist
I have an excellent understanding of the racing industry and the bookmaking industry on both a national and international level. Self-motivated, relate well with other people at all levels.
My background encompasses a successful track record of marketing, race and sports book operations, player development, track operations and hosting services on multi-levels from supervisor, manager to director.
I developed and implemented many cross-channel marketing initiatives that resulted in significant increases in track revenue from simulcasting and on-track handle.
I have the ability to negotiate agreements with C level personal and the business mind set to create strategic alliances to form a “win-win” strategy for all parties and generate new marketing channels that will result in significant revenue enhancements.
· Created and implemented “guerrilla” marketing strategies for B2B advertising for low or no cost to the Company via non-traditional consumer streams.
· Execution of marketing strategy and tactical plans that resulted in over 700 new wagering accounts in less than 90 days.
· Created and Negotiated over several contracts through non-traditional B2B strategic alliances to develop brand into niche market leader, increased wagering by 22% in six months.
· Successfully negotiated with several Fortune 500 companies with RFP’s for marketing spends of $100k each.
· Developed and implemented a marketing strategy for a Pari-mutuel entity that increased live attendance by 17% in 90 days.
· Conducted ten successful “local” marketing initiatives for ten OTB's that resulted in increase handle of 8% in 120 days.
· Developed and implemented marketing and hosting strategy that resulted in an increase of 11% for food and beverage sales in 120 days.
· Created, operated and adjusted betting lines for various Mexican Race & Sports Books.
· Acted as Liaison for the United States Trotting Association and the Michigan Harness Horseman's Association.
Tucson Greyhound Park, Tucson, Arizona (9/05 to 8/09)
Director of Marketing/ Assistant Mutuel Manager
Assistant Director of Simulcasting/ Assistant Director of Player Development
· Managed the overall operations and administration of the track marketing & advertising policies. This included promotions, advertising, proposals, budgets, press releases, and all special events and marketing initiatives for the track.
· Public relations person to the local community.
· Supervised a pari-mutuel staff of 30 tellers on track & at eight off-track-betting parlors.
· Resolved guest disputes, questions, concerns and complaints.
· Managed employee relations issues; assisted in performance review and corrective action.
· Developed simulcast partnerships and simulcast contracts.
· Assisted with technical aspects of simulcasting including decoders, video reception, television coordination, and troubleshooting.
· Acted as tracks’ Television Handicapper.
------------, Los Angeles, California (6/02 to 10/02)
· Managed and operated computer kiosk at Northern California Fair Race Tracks (Stockton, Pleasanton, Vallejo, Santa Rosa, Ferndale and Fresno).
· Informed betting public about account wagering.
· Provided ------------ with a list of potential customers.
· Informed management about feedback from customers.
Racing Services, de Mexico (6/99 to 8/99)
(Tutored & mentored under the direction of the Manager of International Race & Sports Operations Lenny Del Genio)
· Assisted Supervisors in Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, and Acapulco, Mexico.
· Monitored and moved betting lines.
· Learned first hand about the potential and the hurdles associated with international gaming.
Coast Resorts (The Orleans), Las Vegas, Nevada (6/98 to 8/98)
Race & Sports Book Operations
(Tutored & mentored under the direction of Account Betting Director Bob Gregorka)
· Account Wagering Teller.
· Assisted Account Wagering Supervisors.
· Tutored in the art and science of odds making and line movement.
· Graded sporting events & horse racing results.
(Tutored & mentored under the direction of Race Book Director Muggsy Muniz)
· Worked as Mutuel Teller at Barbary Coast, The Gold Coast, and The Orleans.
· Assisted Supervisors and Contest Director.
The United States Trotting Association, Columbus, Ohio (6/92 to 8/92)
State University of New York at Morrisville Summer Intern
· USTA Liaison with the Michigan Harness Horseman’s Association on their fair circuit.
· Assisted with public relations and office work.
· Traveled to 21 different fair tracks to keep records of race results at each racing meet and to award horsemen with trophies.
University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona
· College of Agriculture, August 1997 – May 1999
· Candidate for Bachelor of Science in Animal Science
· Option: Race Track Industry Program
Pima Community College, Tucson, Arizona
· Minor: International Business Studies, May 1997
State University of New York, Morrisville, New York
· College of Agriculture and Technology
· Major: Journalism Technology
· Associate in Applied Science, May 1996
Events & Data