Youth Program Leader
Carnation Farms is a nonprofit organization on a mission to transform the way that people want to eat. We celebrate delicious and nutritious food produced in a sustainable manner by providing inspirational and educational experiences that positively affect heath, the environment, and local economies. We develop the next generation of food citizens and grow new farmers.
Summer Youth Program Leader (FT, Seasonal)
Summer Youth Program Leaders, affectionately known as “Crew Leaders” by the youth, support the implementation of the summer program Rooted at Carnation Farms. Rooted is a seven-week employment program for youth, ages 15 to 18, who are interested in learning more about the food system and how they can play a role in affecting change. Youth spend their days with us in the garden harvesting produce, in the classroom learning about food systems and professional development skills, and in the community serving at hunger relief organizations. Youth Program Educators are responsible for mentoring, educating, and leading their own group of ten youth. Youth Program Leaders work together as a team and with the Youth Development & Education Manager to deliver a high-quality and inspiring program. This is a fun and unique youth program, and we are looking for fun, engaged, passionate leaders to administer it!
This seasonal full-time Leader position (Monday through Friday) begins June 27th with six business days of training and preparation (the farm is closed on July 4th). The Rooted program begins July 8th for seven weeks. Post-program evaluation begins August 26th for one week, with this position ending August 30th. You must be available for the entire length of the program in order to apply.
Reports to: Youth Development and Education Manager
• Execution of Rooted at Carnation Farms
o Lead and mentor a diverse group of ten teenagers who work together throughout a summer program
o Lead and participate with the youth in daily farm field work
o Learn and deliver Rooted curriculum, content, and expectations
o Responsible for youth safety and wellbeing in all settings, including group activities, on-farm fieldwork, and community outreach
o Foster a collaborative, respectful, and comfortable environment for youth
o Develop a strong working relationship with other Youth Program Educators; ensure that established division of responsibilities is maintained and that shared responsibilities are flawlessly executed
o Ensure Carnation Farms’ and Rooted-specific program standards are consistently upheld
o Receive and act upon weekly feedback and guidance from Youth Development and Education Manager
• Embody and represent Carnation Farms’ mission and manifesto
o We are a group on a mission to change the food system, and we are looking for others who are just as passionate about it, too.
o Rooted is a key fundraising program for Carnation Farms. Youth Program Educators will be asked to speak about the importance of this program through interactions with our community.
Experience and Education:
• Leadership experience in educational or summer programs with adolescent youth required
• 1+ years of undergraduate study in Education, Environmental/Agricultural Education, Culinary Education, or a related field preferred
• Outstanding leadership and organizational skills, with a great sense of humor
• Demonstrated experience motivating, fostering individual potential, building trusted relationships, and interacting effectively and appropriately with teens
• Genuine love of working with youth
• Interest in food systems, teambuilding, and community service
• Self-starter with excellent communication skills and problem-solving abilities
• Comfortable with holding youth accountable and professionally managing conflicts between youth
• Adaptable in accomplishing a variety of tasks at the same time
• Personable and relatable
• Ability to perform demanding physical farm labor, including working outdoors in a myriad of temperatures for 8 hours a day
• Ability to maintain a positive attitude and morph any experience into a learning opportunity
• Creative and fun!
• Must be qualified and comfortable driving a large van and transporting youth
• Valid driver’s license
• Background check
• Washington Food Worker Card
• CPR/First Aid Certification
Carnation Farms will provide resources for CPR and Food Worker certification during training week, if you aren’t previously certified.
sustainable agriculture, farming, field work, livestock