JOB DESCRIPTION TITLE: Lifeguard/Pool Staff
STATUS: Seasonal (May – October), Non-Exempt, Part-time
SUMMARY OF THE JOB:
Under general supervision of the Activities Director, ensures the safety of individuals with intellectual disabilities while in or around an aquatic pool by preventing and responding to emergencies, engaging in training and provision of safe recreational swimming and pool activities.
Must obtain, maintain and provide copy of current Water Safety, Lifeguard Certification and CPR/First Aid Certified.
Preferred one year working with individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Must be physically and mentally fit to work with people with developmentally disabilities and must be willing to complete and pass a health screening physical examination that includes a drug and alcohol screening, TB screening, 50 lb. lift test and lumbar x-ray. Client care requires lifting, pulling, tugging, twisting and bending at the knees.
Must possess sufficient knowledge of the English language, written, verbal and computer operation to complete duties as required.
Must be willing to complete and pass a personal background investigation conducted by the State of California and must meet California Department of Health standards for employment.
Must be willing to work with a culturally integrated workplace and be willing to respect human differences based upon race, age, handicap, religion, sexual orientation, political persuasion, place of origin, color, or any other condition that distinguishes people from one another.
Requires the ability to think and act quickly in emergencies; maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of exercising sound judgment and rational thinking under varied circumstances.
Requires on-going monitoring and intervention to ensure the continued physical well-being of all client under their care.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains constant surveillance of clients in the pool. Acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of clients in the event of emergency.
2. Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services. Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
3. Maintain client ICF ratio of 1 staff to 3 clients and CC ratio of 6 clients to 1 staff. Fourteen people is the maximum in the pool are at one time.
4. Ability to engage and maintain pool related activities while ensuring the safety of all individuals in and around the swimming pool.
5. Keep a weekly agenda of all pool activities that is approved by the Activities Director. Pool activities include but are not limited to:
1. Warm up & pool stretches.
2. Work out/exercise, for both upper and lower extremities, doing laps or holding onto the side of the pool to practice kicking,
3. Pool games, socialization and other activities as appropriate. (i.e. use of pool noodles, inflatables, or light weights as needed.)
6. Performs various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe pool. This includes maintenance and storage of pool toys/gear.
7. Prepares and maintains appropriate activity reports for the Activities Director.
8. Skill in the application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
9. Provision of other activities with Ridgers at homes and other sites, these can include art, reading, games, walking around the Ridge, outdoor games, and watering plants at the Ridge garden.
10. Prepping and setting up for evening Activities, special events as needed.
11. Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times and maintains a high standard of customer service.
12. Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions.
13. Other duties as assigned.