School Assistant/Behavior Interventionist
Behavior tutor to help facilitate a child’s participation in school activities. Under supervision, assists classroom teachers in reinforcing instruction to individual and/or small groups of students throughout school day; assists in the preparation of instructional materials and implements behavior strategies. Identified students range from elementary – high school level.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists individual or small groups of students by reinforcing instruction as directed by the teacher(s), monitors and provides oversight for student assignments in various subjects.
• Assists assigned teacher(s) with the preparation and implementation of lesson plans and individualized education plan (IEP) for students with disabilities
• Assists students in completing classroom assignments, assures student understanding of classroom and program rules and procedures.
• Collects observable data and assists in monitoring student progress.
• Collaborates with teachers concerning lesson plans, IEP objectives and resource materials to meet student needs.
• Observes and manages behavior of students in the classroom according to approved procedures and protocols.
• Assures the health and safety of students by following established practices and procedures; maintains learning environment in a safe, orderly and clean manner
• Participates in regular feedback sessions with case supervisor to ensure student and classroom needs are being met
• Performs related duties as assigned
32-40 Hours per week
General knowledge of:
• Child-Adolescent development
• Safe practices in classroom and playground activities
• Basic subjects taught in schools, including arithmetic, grammar, spelling, language and reading
• Basic instructional methods and techniques of behavior management
• Classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct
• Oral and written communication skills
• Interpersonal skills using respect, patience and courtesy
• Basic data and record keeping techniques
• Assist with instruction and related activities in a classroom or assigned learning environment
• Reinforce instruction to individual and/or small groups of students as directed by the teacher
• Assist in the preparation of instructional materials
• Understand and follow oral and written directions
• Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Monitor, observe and report student behavior progress according to approved policies and procedures
• Observe health and safety regulations
• Receive professional guidance and implement feedback
• Be punctual and reliable
• Maintain records, files and individual time sheets
• High School Diploma
• Sixty (60) completed units of college coursework or
• Associate Degree or Bachelors degree highly desirable and
• Two (2) years of experience working with students or trainees in a classroom setting that includes hands on activities