The Nature Museum at Grafton
186 Townshend Rd.
Grafton, VT. 05146
DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION: Environmental Educator
The ideal candidate will be passionate about connecting people to nature, and has the creativity, dynamism, and skills to do so. We’re looking for the right person who can inspire people of all ages to care for the earth and be the catalysts for change our world needs. The Environmental Educator is responsible for working with Nature Museum staff to design and implement programming, as well as creating and maintaining new, interactive exhibits throughout the year.
• Oversees registration for all programming.
• Tracks data and enrollments/attendance for all educational programs and the museum.
• Send and track feedback surveys.
• Creates, sends, and tracks invoices for all programming.
• Maintains updated health/consent forms and other important documents for all youth camp participants.
• Builds, maintains, and grows relationships with target community schools.
• Coordinates programming requests. This includes, but is not limited to, matching appropriate programming to the needs of clients and completing standard registration actions (creating calendar events, creating and processing invoices, entering program details to appropriate data sheets, etc.)
• Supports table events held throughout the year including the Herrick's Cove Wildlife Festival, the Grafton Town Picnic, and others as needed.
• Collaborates with the Executive Director and Senior Educator on designing and scheduling an annual calendar of programming.
• Designs and implements youth programming aligned with the Next Generation Science Standards, state standards, or other relevant accredited education metrics as needed.
* Educational programs include youth (homeschooling groups, public and independent schools and preschools, preschool club, camps), family, and adult (speakers, workshops, outdoor activities).
COLLECTIONS AND EXHIBITS
• Shares responsibility for the organization, maintenance, and upkeep of collections, exhibits, and educational resources.
• Designs and creates new interactive exhibits throughout the year.
• Maintains updated annual permitting (state and federal) required for museum mounts.
• Co-creates quarterly Education Department reports for the Board of Directors with Senior Environmental Educator
o Provides analysis of programming attendance/enrollment (March, June, September and December).
• Works with staff to design and distribute the annual Programs for Schools & Youth Brochure by the end of September.
• Creates social media posts as appropriate.
• Handles phone and email communication as needed and appropriate.
• Attends staff meetings and participates in Museum functions as required.
• Attends/participates in conferences and professional development as appropriate.
• Supports museum staff and Board of Directors with Fairy House Festival, and other special events, related tasks including, but not limited to, preparation for event, working the event, and post-event clean up.
• Completes/assists with various projects as determined by staff.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Relevant BS or BA in Environmental Education, Biology, Natural Sciences, or related field.
• Prior experience as an experiential educator.
• Must enjoy working with people.
● Good communicator with colleagues, parents, students, teachers, and the general public.
● Flexibility with adapting programs to meet the needs of different audiences.
● Must be a strong independent worker who stays on task, manages their work time efficiently, and is a problem solver.
● Must be familiar with Google applications (Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides) and Microsoft Office.
● Able to safely stand for long periods of time.
● Able to safely lift up to 40 pounds.
● Able to safely walk up and down stairs while carrying items.
● Able to safely walk on uneven terrain.
● Must have reliable transportation.
● A job offer will be contingent on a successful background check including fingerprinting.
● Current CPR and first-aid certification by an accredited organization
HOURS and COMPENSATION
20 hours per week, flexible hours, some weekends
$18-$20 an hour commensurate with experience
If interested, please send your letter of interest and resume to ------------
For more information about The Nature Museum at Grafton, see ------------