The Church Music Director is an innovative musical artist who supports the weekly worship service with musical offerings, leading the choir and the congregation in a spirit of worship. We seek candidates with a visionary plan to collaborate with the Pastor and Music Committee to develop the music program, including the Choir, Bell Choir and a nascent Children’s Choir. This is a part-time position (10 hours per week) that reports to the Music Committee.
● Coordinate with the Pastor in planning music for service of worship, including seasonal services such as Lent, Holy Week, an Ecumenical Thanksgiving service (sometimes with combined choirs) and Christmas
● Utilize a broad spectrum of music that implements a variety of instruments
● Prepare for optimum performance for both Choir rehearsals and worship services
● Invite vocal soloists, groups, and instrumental musicians to provide a variety of musical styles conducive to worship and inspiration
● Lead and accompany weekly rehearsals of the Choir
● Lead the congregation’s singing of hymns and responses
● Accompany soloists in worship, as needed
● Attend monthly Music Committee meetings, worship meetings, and special worship planning sessions throughout the year
● Play for special gatherings of the church, when requested by the Pastor
● Provide substitutes for worship services or special events, when not available
● The Music Director possesses the right of first refusal to play for funerals and weddings
Skills and Qualifications
● Demonstrated skills on the piano or keyboard and experience in choral direction
● Strong team player and communication skills
● Minimum of 3 years of experience in a church-related setting preferred
● Bachelor’s degree in piano or organ performance preferred
● Applicants must pass a background check.
The Congregational Church of Grafton, UCC is a church of approximately 100 members. We have a committed budget to develop our ensembles and expand our music library.
The position is 10 hours per week, with a salary of $17,000 and 4 Sundays paid vacation per year. The Church Music Director shall have permission to conduct private organ lessons and make the organ available to qualified students.
Qualified applicants should email a resume, cover letter and 3 references to:
Bob McLean, Chair of Music Committee
Congregational Church of Grafton