ORGANIZATIONAL DESCRIPTION: Founded in 1994, the National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health (NLIRH) builds Latina power to guarantee the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity and justice. We elevate Latina leaders, mobilize our families and communities, transform the cultural narrative and catalyze policy change.
JOB DESCRIPTION: NLIRH seeks an intern to support our field and advocacy manager in the day-to-day workflow of the NY Latina Advocacy Network and our ongoing local campaign efforts. Over the course of 15 hours a week, the intern will be responsible for assisting our field and advocacy manager in preparing for several NY-wide events over the coming months. In addition, interns will serve as field and advocacy assistant for work that includes but is not limited to issue community education, administrative and civic engagement activities. We are looking for committed individuals who are passionate about organizing to elevate Latina/x power in their community.
POSITION LOCATION: New York City
JOB TYPE: 15 hours/week
JOB OPEN DATE: January 2020
• Preparing and collecting meeting and event materials;
• Entering meeting and event data into sales force;
• Co-lead or facilitate meeting/event preparation and follow up;
• Organizing and outreach activities to include:
o Talking to community members about reproductive justice issues;
o Promote engagement with the NY LAN through volunteerism and civic participation;
• Data entry collected in the field from events and meetings;
• Assist field and advocacy manager with volunteer and activist recruitment and follow-up for campaign and outreach efforts as well as events more broadly;
• Participate in and support GOTC (get out the census) activities;
• Work with Field and Advocacy Manager to create online content for social media, newsletters, etc.; and
• Assist with other projects as assigned by the Field and Advocacy Manager.
• Well-organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated;
• Ability to connect with people of varying backgrounds;
• Strong written and interpersonal, communication, and relationship-building skills;
• Experience as a team captain or managing volunteers is a plus;
• Self-starter, detail-oriented, and adaptive personality;
• Strong time management skills;
• Must be comfortable communicating directly with voters;
• Ability to stand and walk for 4-5-hour shifts;
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team;
• Bilingual proficiency: English/Spanish is a plus;
• Must be able to work some weekends and evenings as needed.
Compensation: $17 per hour
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please send a resume and a cover letter via e-mail to xxx-xxx-xxxx . Please write NLIRH NY LAN Intern on the e-mail subject line. Position will be open until filled.
The National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health is an equal opportunity employer, committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, including bilingual and bicultural individuals, LGBTQ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
advocacy, New York, Bronx, campaign, events, community, civic engagement, organizing, outreach