Federal Business Development Intern
January - April 2020
WHO WE ARE
Third Sector is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is transforming the way communities connect people with human services. We partner with governments and service providers to generate positive, measurable outcomes for the people they serve using public funding and data. We work alongside communities to help build a future that includes improved educational opportunity, economic mobility, housing stability, and physical and mental health. When our work is complete, organizations entrusted to use public and private funds will have the systems, tools, and data to do more and do better for their communities. Since 2011, we have worked with more than 40 communities and transitioned over $800 million in public funding to social programs that measurably improve lives. Our team of more than 50 employees works out of offices in San Francisco, Boston, and Washington DC, and is united by our core values (Respect, Rigor, Resourcefulness, Results, and Reflection) and our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Third Sector is seeking an entrepreneurial and flexible individual that thrives in a dynamic work environment to serve as an intern in the federal business development team. The intern will support business development efforts and contribute to market and client research, marketing and communication initiatives, and proposal development. This individual will be based in Washington DC, will work full-time (40 hours/week) and will report directly to the Director of Federal Business Development. The internship is four months and will run approximately Monday January 26-Friday May 1. The internship is paid hourly in line with market rates and commensurate with experience. The intern will gain a deeper understanding of how outcome-based contracting works, federal procurement processes, and what it’s like to work in a mission-driven consulting firm.
* Conduct market analysis to identify and validate new and diverse business opportunities
* Research existing and prospective federal clients and their priorities
* Assist with database updates to monitor, track and report on ongoing business development activities
* Contribute written content to proposals and support proposal management
* Support development of capability statements, presentations and other promotional materials
* Participate and take notes in client meetings, relevant conferences and other external events as feasible and appropriate
* Help prepare materials for meetings, coordinate event logistics, take meeting notes, and other administrative tasks
* Track relevant federal events and press releases and share for wider publication and dissemination
* Other new business and research tasks
We are seeking candidates with:
* Recent BA or MA graduate. Alternatively, an active MA student available to work full-time
* Relevant focus area experience related to Third Sector’s work including business, economics, education, political science, public policy, etc.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Wordpress, Google Suite, and other software or cloud-based design tools
* Strong research, written communication skills and formal writing background
* Experience working with multiple individuals as well as internal and external teams simultaneously
* Background or interest in online content generation and nonprofit fundraising is a plus!
Applicants should be:
* Constantly striving to improve and develop professionally, and committed to giving and receiving honest and constructive individual and group feedback
* Entrepreneurial and proactive in seeking out opportunities for improvement and exposure – both as an individual within Third Sector and for the benefit of the company
* Comfortable in a fast-paced environment, and able to remain productive and effective when juggling a variety of projects assigned by different team members
* Excellent organizational and time management skills; ability to think critically and work independently is a must
* Able to bring rigorous attention to detail and high-quality standards to their work
Please respond to the questions below in a Word or PDF document and save it. Then, go to ------------ and upload your response document when prompted. The deadline to submit your application is Sunday January 19, 2020. DO NOT EMAIL YOUR APPLICATION!
1. Why do you want this internship? (200 words)
2. What skills/experiences do you bring to the position? (300 words)
3. How do you see this internship fitting into your career aspirations? (200 words)
Third Sector Capital Partners offers a competitive hourly wage for interns and opportunities to learn and grow as you embark on your career. If there is opportunity for full-time employment following the internship, Third Sector offers competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and skills.
At Third Sector, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that diversity leads to better solutions for the difficult social challenges we tackle, for the clients we serve, and for the communities we impact. We are committed to providing equal opportunities and approach recruitment in an impartial manner, without regard to an individual's race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, income status or any other characteristic protected by law.
business development, social impact, consulting, research