The Development Intern will be a true member of the Development team, working directly with staff and making sure committed donors have a strong and lasting relationship with the Des Moines Symphony & Academy.
The Development program is responsible for identifying, recruiting, and stewarding donors who give donations totaling more than $1.5 million annually to the Symphony & Academy. The Development Intern will receive hands-on experience through responsibilities such as donor correspondence, creative projects and guaranteeing the integrity of the Symphony’s growing donor database. The intern will also be able to learn more about other parts of the organization through volunteer opportunities and group activities. Please note: the Development Intern will not be responsible for soliciting money from donors.
The Development Intern will have the opportunity to showcase skills and build a true professional presence through:
• Event Planning & Management: Assist with the Des Moines Symphony’s largest annual fundraising events, the Viewing Party for Yankee Doodle Pops and the Symphony’s Opening Night Dinner, including supporting event committees and managing the solicitation, receipt, and marketing of silent auction items. Support additional Des Moines Symphony summer events as needed.
• Annual & Major Gifts: Manage research and help plan cultivation and solicitation techniques for individuals, corporations, and foundations (grants).
• Donor Relations: Support the Symphony’s donor relations program, including sponsor and donor benefits, comp tickets, employee enrichment programs, and special receptions.
• An in-depth understanding of non-profit fundraising and how fundraising finances the programmatic and educational work of an arts organization.
• Gain transferable database management, communications skills, and office and customer service skills applicable to future employment opportunities
• Observation of how a Development department uses varied income streams to meet a $3+ million dollar organizational budget
• Experience handling responsibilities in a high-energy environment
• The opportunity to learn the work of the Des Moines Symphony & Academy across all of our departments
• Ability to meet deadlines and thrive in a fast-paced environment
• Comfortable providing service through email and phone correspondence
• Strong attention to detail and ability to independently problem solve
• Ability to type quickly and accurately with proven skill to proofread own work
• Moderate proficiency in Microsoft Word & Excel, with the ability to become adept at the use of these and other computer programs and databases
• Willingness to learn the details of non-profit fundraising
• Professional, responsible & team-oriented manner
• Demonstrated interest in arts & culture
• Prior database and customer service experience a plus
Development, fundraising, special events, nonprofit, arts, culture, music, symphony