Public Service Internship
At the Council of Korean Americans (CKA), we believe that more Asian Americans must take leadership roles in our society and demonstrate the power and potential of our community.
The fourth annual CKA-KALCA Public Service Internship Program will place rising juniors or seniors in college, graduate students, and recent graduates in summer internships throughout DC and NY. We provide a generous scholarship of up to $5,000 per student to cover the cost of living and help students get placed in internships at the federal, state and local government; major think tanks and foundations; as well as community based organizations.
We also provide high-impact leadership training and exclusive mentoring opportunities throughout the summer featuring CKA members, influencers, policymakers, and opinion makers.
TO APPLY: xxx-xxx-xxxx
To be eligible for the CKA-KALCA Public Service Internship, applicants must be a rising junior or senior in college, graduate student, or a recent graduate who is interested in a career that strengthens their local and global communities. The internship must be full-time for at least 10 consecutive weeks and unpaid. Internships can be pre-arranged by the applicant or finalized upon award of the scholarship. We strongly encourage all applicants to apply for summer internships as well as apply for the PSI Program concurrently.
Eligible placements include congressional offices in Washington and New York, federal agencies, nonprofit organizations, and advocacy groups. Placements cannot be political campaigns or include campaign activity.
Award and Responsibilities:
All CKA-KALCA Public Service Interns will receive and be responsible for the following:
1. Receive a scholarship between $3,000 and $5,000 (see FAQ for more details)
2. Attend regular closed-door events, such as lunch and dinner roundtables, featuring prominent Asian American Pacific Islander leaders, mentoring sessions, and group discussion on national issues affecting the Korean American community
3. Submit a 500-word reflection essay on the internship experience, within two weeks of the end of the internship
How To Apply:
1. A completed and signed application (Online Form)
3. Most recent transcript (official or unofficial is acceptable)
4. A letter of recommendation
5. A personal statement on two of the following questions (maximum of 300 words for each answer):
- What skills, lessons, and/or relationships do you plan to bring back to your campus or community after your Public Service Internship?
- Describe a need within the Korean American community you will be better equipped to help meet after your Public Service internship.
- Who is your Korean American hero and why?
- CKA values volunteerism and the spirit of giving back to the community. What has been the most significant volunteering experience for you and how has that changed your outlook on public service?
For consideration for Summer 2019, applications should be submitted by Thursday, January 31, 2019. Applications after this date will be considered based on the availability of funds and placement opportunities.
All materials, except the letter of recommendation, must be submitted as a single PDF attachment, in a single email to xxx-xxx-xxxx. Use “2019 PSI Application” in the subject line. The letter of recommendation should be emailed separately to xxx-xxx-xxxx with “Recommendation Letter — YOUR FIRST AND LAST NAME” in the subject line within one week of submitting the application. CKA may request supplemental information as appropriate. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed. Please make sure to submit all required materials.
For more information, please visit: xxx-xxx-xxxx
CKA does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, disability, or veteran status in awarding scholarships.