Summary: Responsible for many tasks requiring both interpersonal and technical skills by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Assists Dentist during a variety of treatment procedures including orthodontics, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, and oral surgery
2. Takes and digital dental radiographs or x-rays (Pas, BTWs, FMXs, and panoramic x-rays) on an hourly basis
3. Asks about the patient’s medical history and taking blood pressure and pulse
4. Serves as an infection control officer by developing infection control protocol and preparing and sterilizing instruments and equipment
5. Helps patients feel comfortable before, during, and after dental treatment; Seats, prepares, and dismisses patients
6. Provides patients with oral or written pre-operative and post-operative treatment instructions for oral care following surgery or other dental treatment procedures, such as the placement of a restoration or filling
7. Takes impression of patient’s teeth for study casts accurately and according to training, pours and trims the models
8. Performs office management tasks
9. Maintain Doctor’s work schedule and patient flow smooth between operatories
10. Prepares work areas to include stocking, setting up, breaking own and cleaning as needed
11. Performs hand piece sterilization and management
12. Maintains the sterilization area to include cleaning instruments and room, restocking trays, setting up and breaking down the room
13. Sets up treatment areas for appointments to include paper products, disposable and designated instruments/materials as needed for procedures (ex: resetting and treating tofflemire bands, refilling cotton roll holders, refilling equilibration papers and other such activities)
14. Maintains general dental office equipment to include the suction system, digital x-ray and all sterilization equipment
15. Remains aware of stock to be ordered through periodic investories, and communicates effectively with supervisor to place orders
16. Manages new patient charts and updates, take new patient photos, upload photos and x-rays into OneNote
17. Tracks all incoming and outgoing laboratory cases
18. Prepares lab sheets and models for night guards, crowns, bridges, partials and dentures for laboratory with a detailed list of pertinent information, and submits to Doctor for approval
19. Receives periodontal items and prepare for Doctor and patient delivery
20. Performs whitening procedures including but not limited to the systems and all patient education related to dental care. Makes whitening trays.
21. Uses Trios digital scanner, sends the scan to the dental labs and helps with any scanner issues
22. Takes all extra and intra oral radiographs as treatment indicates
23. Follows all company policies and procedures paying special attention to patient care and safety
24. Completes continuing education units
25. Maintains required vaccinations and testing
26. Teaches patients appropriate oral hygiene strategies to maintain oral health and nutritional counseling
27. Performs any other related duties as assigned
To perform his job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Microsoft Internet Explorer and EagleSoft Dental Software. Ability to take photos, upload them into the computer and EagleSoft. Ability to upload photos and x-rays to OneNote.
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Hepatitis Vaccination
Equipment to be able to use/master:
- x-ray machine
- model trimmer
- hand piece oiling
- suction traps
- all computer programs
- Trios Scanner
- blood pressure cuff
- ultra sonic
- endo hand piece
- heat and touch
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Impression modeling/molding
- Time management
- Oral and written communication skills
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; use hands; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and sit. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and taste or smell. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and sharp instruments. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock, risk of radiation, and blood borne pathogens.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Dental Assistant; Reliable; Loyal; Hard working; Organized