REPORTS TO: Camp Director or Program Director
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
The Camp Counselor is responsible for implementing the mission and goals of Camp Turner,
care for the physical, emotional, mental, social, personal needs of the campers. Involves
creating an environment in an overnight camp setting for children to learn, enjoy activities and
build relationships. Counselors must live on site at the camp! Room and board plus salary.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Plan, lead, oversee daily recreational activities both inside and outside.
2. Know where campers are at all times, constantly counting to make sure all are present.
3. Supervise campers, with the ability to see and or hear their campers at all times.
4. Engage with campers, attentive and responsive to needs, resolve conflicts.
5. Create a positive, fun environment for campers.
6. Act as a positive role model to campers, camp/park staff, visitors
7. Follow and enforce camp safety rules and guidelines.
8. Report all accidents, injuries, illnesses and incidents which violate the Code of Conduct or
Safe Environment Policies to administration.
9. Assist with camp facility cleaning by sweeping, mopping, picking up litter, moving/setting
up/removal of activity equipment, grounds keeping and kitchen duty.
------------municate and cooperate with other staff members, sharing duty equitably.
11.Obtain written approval for all activities that you lead with or for campers.
12.Provide thoughtful feedback and support to colleagues, supervisor, and administrators.
13.Seek assistance when needed from colleagues and supervisors.
14.Attend and actively participate in all of staff training.
16.Assist with the care and maintenance of the facilities.
17.Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
1. Be at least 18 years of age or at least 17 years of age with some overnight camp
2. Previous experience working with children preferred.
3. Must pass pre-employment background check, drug and physical screening.
4. Staff must be compliant with Diocesan safe environment guidelines
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES:
1. Understanding of, and agreement with mission and goals of camp.Revised April, 2021 2
2. Ability to live and work in a Catholic atmosphere within the norms of the Catholic Church.
3. Ability to learn and enforce camp safety and operating rules.
4. Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
5. Ability to demonstrate acceptance, genuine care and concern for people, show empathy,
patience and flexibility.
6. Ability to demonstrate good socialization and personal care.
7. Ability to lead, plan, organize, and implement program activities.
8. Ability to work as a member of a team and the ability to accomplish tasks with little direct
9. Strong organizational, listening and communication skills.
10.Ability to get along with and motivate others to fulfill responsibilities.
11.Ability to demonstrate spiritual and emotional maturity.
12.Portrays friendly, positive, respectful and enthusiastic behaviors.
13.Ability to personal information confidential.
14.Willingness to serve and perform tasks beyond those assigned.
15.Demonstrates a neat, professional appearance.
16.Expertise in a specific program preferred such as horses, nature, art, crafts, outdoor living
skills, wood working, drama, dance, yoga, cooking, archery, lifeguarding, nature study,
waterfront management, sports, hiking, singing, low ropes facilitation and liturgy.
Physical demands of the job include walking up to 6 miles per day, being outside, participating
in physical games, sports, activities.
Email resume and cover letter to: ------------;
Or send cover letter along with resume to:
Camp Turner, PO Box 264, Salamanca, NY 1477