Job Title: Associate Strategist
Location: Oakland, CA
Sunstone Strategies is a mission-drive communications and public affairs firm specializing in climate change. We have our sights set on a better world - in which our legal, economic, energy and political systems uphold our humanity. To get there, we’re moving equitable climate, energy and transportation policies forward with smart, strategic campaigns in California and nationally.
Our clients are leading foundations, NGOs, and influential organizations and individuals working to build a just and fair clean energy economy. Sunstone was established in the Fall of 2018 - but our roots run deep. Our small team has been shaping the messages and coverage you’ve seen on climate issues for decades.
Sunstone Strategies is looking for an achingly competent, climate policy-obsessed individual to join our team in an associate position. This is an exciting early-career opportunity to learn the dark arts of public relations and strategic communications while jumping into the center of some of the world’s most exciting climate and energy campaigns. You’ll be deeply embedded with an amazing team of partners from influential organizations - learning from the best in the business as we undertake strategies to phase fossil fuels out of the power, buildings and transportation sectors.
The successful candidate will have exceptional project management skills; be media junkie with a nose for news who spends a bit too much time on Twitter and gets their information from a range of top-tier and new media outlets; be a lover of research who can quickly gather data and craft it into easy to understand pieces that are enjoyable to read; and demonstrates a passion for politics and equitable climate policy.
They will also be an excellent writer, a clear thinker and able to thrive in an extremely fast-paced environment.
This position will be based in downtown Oakland. Perks include daily fitness classes and use of equipment, guided meditation, free snacks, coffee, and a beautiful vibe.
If developing strategies to change the world and helping drive action on climate change is your dream job – then we’d love to meet you!
• Project management: Manage work plans, budgets and push projects forward with excellent self-management skills and follow-through; coordinate communications with clients and campaigns; assist with billing and other admin-related activities.
• Media relations and outreach: Develop and maintain media lists; build and foster relationships with editors and reporters; pitch stories and place op-eds; track and analyze media coverage for various issues and campaigns.
• Digital communications: Develop content for social media properties and campaigns; build online profiles and followings; manage social media properties.
• Writing and Research: Research topics and contribute to campaigns; draft and edit content for collaterals including press releases, media advisories, talking points, op-eds, fact sheets, websites, social properties, etc.
• 1-3 years working in a role focused on project management and communications; previous experience in advocacy or political organization preferred.
• Degree in communications, journalism, public policy or closely-related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience/knowledge of media and political landscape; Advanced degree in environmental law, policy or related field a plus.
• Demonstrated understanding of state and national politics; intersection between climate, environmental and social justice issues.
• Fast and competent researcher; Ability to analyze complex policy issues and communicate them in a compelling, easy-to-digest manner for different audiences.
• Ability to learn on the job, meet strict deadlines, juggle many competing priorities (IT GETS CRAZY) and work under pressure.
• Highly reliable, organized and self-motivated; able to manage time effectively in a remote, and often fast-paced setting.
Project management, public relations, communications, climate change