National Cherry Blossom Festival, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization based in Washington, DC, is currently seeking a Volunteer Manager to lead this award winning program.
The National Cherry Blossom Festival, Inc. produces and promotes one of the world’s great celebrations of spring, and is dedicated to promoting the beauty of nature and international friendship through year-round programs, events, educational and entertainment initiatives that enhance our environment, showcase arts and culture, and build community spirit.
The Volunteer Manager will manage the 2020 National Cherry Blossom l Festival’s volunteer program.
In coordination with the Festival’s Director of Operations, the Volunteer Manager for 2020 National Cherry Blossom Festival will help create and implement the 2020 Festival Volunteer Plan and Time Line with the goal of creating an established Volunteer Community encouraging year-round commitments.
The Volunteer Manager will perform the following functions between the months of October 2019 and May 2020.
• Work with Event Managers to identify how many Festival Volunteers are needed for each 2020 Festival program and event.
• Manage and train Volunteer Intern(s).
• Recruit and manage Volunteers.
• Interview and Select Lead Volunteers.
• Manage Volunteer database.
• Create and execute a Volunteer hospitality plan and retention plan including planning, leading and managing the Volunteer Kick Off Rally
• Plan and coordinate the Volunteer Orientation.
• Plan, lead and facilitate Volunteer Committee and Working Group meetings.
• Develop communication plan for Volunteers including newsletters, Facebook group, blog, etc.
• Lead creation newsletter including content for the monthly and then weekly during the Festival Newsletters.
• Train and develop an informed and seasoned group of select volunteers on Festival Events and protocols.
• Manage and coordinate Volunteers onsite during all Signature Events and Premier Events as needed.
• Ensure all Festival events and satellite programs (information kiosks, merchandise booths) are fully staffed with competent and trained Volunteers.
• Coordinate and host a post-Festival Volunteer appreciation, including assembling items for giveaways and raffle.
• Coordinate and host a post-Festival EEC Dinner.
• Deliver a recap of the program for the 2020 Festival season.
• Assist NCBF with creation of IFEA Pinnacle Awards Submission entry for Best Volunteer Program
Successfully deliver the following at the close of Term:
• An up-to-date Volunteer database.
• A developed Volunteer Corps with at least 300 members.
• An updated handbook that can be easily revised in the future.
• October 2019 to May 2020.
• Attend weekly programming meetings.
• Weekly Volunteer Program meetings with Director of Operations.
• Attend planning meetings and event rundown meetings.
• On-site events including weekend Festival events, nighttime events.
• Ability to work in office environment
• Experience in volunteer management, event management, marketing, business, public relations, or related field is preferred.
• Positive, can-do attitude, welcoming and energetic.
• Superior communication and written skills, proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint and strong database management skills are necessary.
• Demonstrated desire and capacity to work collaboratively with colleagues and consultants, as well as volunteers.
• Requires outstanding organization skills, attention to detail, and high productivity.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing, Finance, Business, or other related field preferred.
• Grace and poise under pressure
• Demonstrated ability to take initiative and troubleshoot difficult situations
• Assist with set-up and tear down of event site(s) and lift up to 50 pounds when needed
• Must be able to stand for long hours
Please email resume and cover letter articulating your relevant experience and salary history to JoAnn Nasser, National Cherry Blossom Festival’s Director of Operations, at xxx-xxx-xxxx . Include in the subject line “Volunteer Manager (Contractor) Applicants will be notified if selected for an interview.
Events, Management, Community