The Lead Gardener of Ohme Gardens County Park is responsible for maintaining the horticultural beauty at Ohme Gardens. They will work with the Garden Director to evaluate, plan, design and execute horticultural displays throughout the grounds. They will also work with the Facilities Maintenance manager in maintaining irrigation systems to ensure proper watering of grounds. The Lead Gardener will keep all areas of responsibility in a well-maintained condition using high quality standards in all aspects of the job. Supervision maybe required of volunteers as necessary. Must have the ability to work independently, use good time management, work safely, and have good communication skills. Flexible hours are necessary and required.
Preserve/Enhance Garden Appearance, by caring for plants, trees and shrubs in gardens
Perform regular garden Inspections
Perform routine grounds keeping maintenance
Collaborate with Garden Director to plan evaluate horticultural landscaping activities.
Diagnose plant problems caused by insects, disease, etc.; develop and implement treatment plans as needed including use of insecticide/herbicide control measures.
Other duties as assigned by Garden Director or Facilities Maintenance Manager.Education, Skills, Experience and Personal Characteristics:
Minimum 3 years’ experience in the field of garden maintenance
Knowledge of horticulture and botany of alpine and perennial plants
Working knowledge of garden maintenance practice procedures
Washington Public Operator License preferred
Strong commitment to maintain high quality standards
Ability to operate tools equipment used for the garden maintenance & repairs
Working knowledge of garden maintenance practice & procedures
· This is a hands on position requiring good health, tolerance to, and the ability to work in hot and cool weather under sometimes strenuous conditions.
· Ability to transverse 200 foot elevation change with backpack blower and other tools over uneven stone paths daily.
· Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs.
· Ability to work in all-season outdoor environment
· Ability to work in steep terrain and high elevations
· Need transportation and local phone
· Hours vary. Some weekend work is required.
Garden Administrator Administrative Assistant Part-time Staff
Facilities & Maintenance Manager Volunteers Garden Patrons