10am-4pm Mon-Fri (must be available at least 4hrs/day on weekdays)
Evenings/weekends (optional, as schedule allows)
Walkers must live within 20mins of the area to qualify. Our current hiring needs are in:
Our reputation and success lies in our exceptional team of Dog Walkers. This is a demanding but fulfilling opportunity to work with pets. Each member of our team must be able to:
• Take on all types of assignments within the standard M-F 10am-4pm walking hours, as well as optional evenings/weekends/vacation care as their schedule permits. This could include daily dog walks, cat care, and other small pets, each for a range of breeds and temperaments.
• Be comfortable performing new client consultations (with manager present), including a meet and greet of new clients and their pets and gathering detailed information about their needs and special requests.
• Ensure safety of the pets and those (humans/pets) around them, as well as maintain home security when entering/exiting.
• Fulfill client expectations regarding feeding, training/walking behavior reinforcement, and any other special requests as outlined during new client consultations or meet and greets.
• Drive/walk in inclement weather. Even in severe weather, raining, or snowing, dogs need to go out!
• Communicate effectively and in a timely manner with management staff, as well as through software systems to confirm that everything has been completed to client specifications.
• Take responsibility for client home security, including navigating various security systems, lock boxes, and key security.
• Use their smartphone effectively, including navigating various apps used for the job.
• Be exceptionally time-conscious, managing their daily route including service and transit times between services.
• Be coachable and respond positively to support from management and other team members.
• Must be 21yrs or older
• Successful completion of criminal background check and 3 reference checks (professional/management references strongly preferred)
• Experience with a variety of pets (especially dogs), including handling and care
Please note, applicants must be able to make a commitment of service for a minimum of 12 months due to the bonding that occurs between our staff and the animals in our care. A smartphone (ability to text/email/apps) is required and work use of the phone will be reimbursed. In order to be a fit for this position, you must be able to travel between client homes quickly (usually 1-3miles in under 10mins; personal vehicle or all-weather biker preferred) and walk for several hours each weekday.
Dog walkers are paid on a bi-weekly basis with monthly income ranging about $650-1400+ for a full schedule. All walkers are W2 employees and start at $15/hr, going up to $16/hr within their first year. In addition, they enjoy the following benefits:
Support of a team of pet lovers
Pet First Aid/CPR Certification
Online and in-person training (all paid)
Paid Sick Leave
Paid Time Off
Periodic team outings and perks
Service tips and holiday bonus
Participation in community pet events
The mission of S’wooft is to offer loving, reliable, and professional pet care in far northwest Chicago and surrounding areas.
We do this through:
- Hiring the best staff, who are fully screened, qualified, and trained
- Offering our staff competitive pay, benefits, and a respectful work environment
- Continually training our staff in Pet First Aid/CPR and other skills that will allow them to offer excellent service to the pets we serve
- Offering clients consistency in coverage for all daily walks, with additional coverage for off hours needs
- Maintaining professionalism in all communications, policies, and practices
We specialize in daily dog walking, vacation care, and cat care—all of the ways pet owners need to be able to rely on someone when it comes to the daily care of their pets. Families trust us with their fur babies and their homes, so we're careful to thoroughly screen all of our staff with a full background check, professional references, and shadowing, to see if they have the same abounding love for pets that we do. Rather than a pet service based primarily on convenience, where the quality of staff may be inconsistent, we pride ourselves on each individual who makes up this team. We also strive to build community, both within Team S’wooft and among the greater Chicago area pet community. We do this through team outings, use of an ongoing chat app (Slack), community events, and our various marketing efforts.
Diversity is not a buzzword for us, but rather a core value and contributor to the strength of our team. We celebrate our many differences and believe we are better pet care providers, professionals, and people, as a result of this philosophy being put into practice. To that end, S’wooft is an Equal Opportunity Employer. This means that we select, place, train, and promote the most qualified team members based on relevant factors such as experience, work quality, attitude, and availability. We do not consider race, color, religion, age, gender identification, marital status, sexual orientation, pregnancy status, veteran status, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, genetic information, order of protection status, status as a victim or perceived victim of domestic or sexual violence, status as a qualified handicapped or disabled individual, or any other proscribed factor in our hiring, salary/wage, promotion, or termination decisions, in accordance with applicable state and federal laws.
Applicants with disabilities may be entitled to reasonable accommodation under the terms of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Illinois Human Rights Act, and applicable local laws. A reasonable accommodation is a change in the way things are normally done which will ensure an equal employment opportunity without imposing undue hardship on S’wooft. Please inform the company's personnel representative if you need assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.
Curious to know what it's like to work with S'wooft? Check out our Glassdoor reviews!
dog walker, dogs, pets