Firestone Walker Brewing Company began as a small brewery with roots in the wine country on California’s Central Coast. Now a regional craft brewery, our singular purpose remains – to craft the world’s best beers. Passionately in pursuit of the perfect beer… and never satisfied.
The Firestone Walker Taproom Restaurant in Paso Robles is seeking a talented and experienced full-time Sous Chef to join our team. We are looking for someone that is passionate about food, has a “willing to do whatever it takes attitude”, and is knowledgeable about food sanitation and cleanliness. The right candidate will have at least two years of experience as a Sous Chef. Culinary school graduates are a plus.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
• Assist the Head Chef to ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards
• Act as Manager on Duty for kitchen employees when Head Chef is off work
• Provide new hire training when Head Chef is unable to provide orientation including company and department rules, policies and procedures and position duties
• Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations
• Assist the Head Chef to ensure that all equipment is kept clean and kept in excellent working condition through personal inspection and by following the restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs
• Assist the Head Chef to ensure that all products are ordered according to predetermined product specifications and received in correct unit count and condition and deliveries are performed in accordance with the restaurant’s receiving policies and procedures
• Assist the Head Chef to control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures
• Assist the Head Chef to schedule labor as required by anticipated business activity while ensuring that all positions are staffed when and as needed and labor cost objectives are met
• Be knowledgeable of restaurant policies regarding personnel and administer prompt, fair and consistent corrective action for any and all violations of company policies, rules and procedures
• Assist the Head Chef to oversee the training of kitchen personnel in safe operation of all kitchen equipment and utensils, cleanliness and sanitation practices, and safety
• Responsible for assisting the Head Chef in maintaining appropriate cleaning schedules for kitchen floors, mats, walls, hoods, other equipment and food storage areas
• Check and maintain proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points
• As needed, prepare food, cook food, and complete final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items
• Stock and maintain sufficient levels of food products at line stations to ensure a smooth service period
• Maintain a clean and sanitary workstation area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment
• Performs other related duties as assigned
• A minimum of 2 years of previous sous chef experience and at least three years of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking, preferably working on a “hot line”. Culinary school graduates are a plus
• Must be available to work AM and PM shifts, weekends and holidays
• Must be able to communicate clearly and professionally with managers, kitchen and dining room personnel at all times
• Ability to be a strong team player and get along well with co-workers
• Be physically able to lift, reach, bend, stoop, use hands to finger, handle, feel or cut with a knife and lift up to 50 pounds regularly
• Be able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours)
What Firestone Walker Offers:
• Competitive pay rate for an experienced individual with the right skills.
• An excellent benefits package including:
o 100% paid premiums for employee including medical, dental, vision, & life insurance
o Accrued PTO (rate of 13 days per year)
o Accrued Sick Leave (1 hour for every 30 hours worked) 24 hours max usage per year
o 401(k) retirement plan including company paid profit sharing & 4% matching
o 8 paid holidays per year
Please submit your cover letter and resume with your work experience when applying.
Firestone Walker is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Sous Chef, Taproom, Restaurant